G'day from WA

New? Say G'Day here!
MoreLuresThanFish
Apprentice
kayak: Yellow 2021 Outback

G'day from WA

Post by MoreLuresThanFish »

Hi Yakkers, just saying G'day.
I am retired and just this week moved across from WA where I did a fair bit of fresh (trout & redfin), estuary (Bream & Tailor) & saltwater (Snapper) yakfishing as an active member of Yakfish West. I now need to adapt to the VicYakking way of life. My Outback should join me over here in a month or two... by which time this cold, wet weather might be behind us!
I look forward to meeting some of you on the water.
To fish or not to fish... is not a real question.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: G'day from WA

Post by maverick »

Welcome Paul, which part of Vic are you now calling home and where in WA did you move from?
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
MoreLuresThanFish
Apprentice

Hi Maverick,
We were near the Swan R... in Perth... temporary renting in Glen Waverley at the moment.
I fully expect to drive many hours to get to good Vic yakfishing.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Welcome. Surprising your not too far from some good spots especially in off peak times. Probably only 30 minutes.

Ricketts Point is great for Snapper till Early Dec.

Seems to be plenty of Salmon around that area as well.

Parkdale/Mentone some very good King George Whiting spots in close as well.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Eildon for freshwater natives, trout are a little quiet (the cod are eating them), maybe a 2 hour drive. Bonnie Doon or the main wall are good spots to launch. Apparently the trout are on the chew on the recently covered grass flats if you go left under the bridge at Bonnie Doon. Fly fishing in the shallows from the yak.

Devil Bend Reservoir (just out of Mornington) is stocked with trout, redfin are there and the EP's are well over 30 cm's now, some pushing 40. You are only allowed to fish in a small part of the reservoir and it is a 200m walk to the yak launch site.

Saltwater - just follow the reports, many areas to research. There is a heap of historical information on VYAK, just use google search and start the search with VYAK and then what you are looking for, better search engine than using the forum search fucntion.

There is some great freshwater fishing in the crater lakes in the west of state (warnambool/portland etc) combine that with some river fishing and then offshore for tuna and kingfish, it is worth the drive.

8 years of mostly Vic fishing (video is 3 years old now) and some interstate fishing with other VYAK members

I used to live in Duncraig and Mum and Dad managed the marina at Port Bouvard for a number of years.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
MoreLuresThanFish
Apprentice

vicyak wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 07:20 Welcome. Surprising your not too far from some good spots especially in off peak times. Probably only 30 minutes.

Ricketts Point is great for Snapper till Early Dec.

Seems to be plenty of Salmon around that area as well.

Parkdale/Mentone some very good King George Whiting spots in close as well.
Thanks Vicyak
... a 30min fishing commute would work well...I will research Ricketts now!
Snapper & Salmon are both up there, amongst my favourite species to catch.
MoreLuresThanFish
Apprentice

maverick wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 12:03 Eildon for freshwater natives, trout are a little quiet (the cod are eating them), maybe a 2 hour drive. Bonnie Doon or the main wall are good spots to launch. Apparently the trout are on the chew on the recently covered grass flats if you go left under the bridge at Bonnie Doon. Fly fishing in the shallows from the yak.

Devil Bend Reservoir (just out of Mornington) is stocked with trout, redfin are there and the EP's are well over 30 cm's now, some pushing 40. You are only allowed to fish in a small part of the reservoir and it is a 200m walk to the yak launch site.

Saltwater - just follow the reports, many areas to research. There is a heap of historical information on VYAK, just use google search and start the search with VYAK and then what you are looking for, better search engine than using the forum search fucntion.

There is some great freshwater fishing in the crater lakes in the west of state (warnambool/portland etc) combine that with some river fishing and then offshore for tuna and kingfish, it is worth the drive.

8 years of mostly Vic fishing (video is 3 years old now) and some interstate fishing with other VYAK members

I used to live in Duncraig and Mum and Dad managed the marina at Port Bouvard for a number of years.
Hi Maverick...
An incredible 8years. My journey has been similar - but definitely not as well documented on video. Some epic footage there, really enjoyed it! I have never had southern right whales that close on a kayak... awesome! My biggest fish have all been tropical... Queenfish, Golden Trevally, Giant Herring, Mackerel, Tuna, Sailfish... but with the right gear any fish is enjoyable! Not terribly fond of sharks, though. I have never landed a decent Mulloway on the yak & have never even dreamt of hooking a Marlin on the yak! In freshwater I have never hooked a Chinook... or a Murray Cod... really looking forward to finding out what Vic has in store for me!
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Welcome aboard Paul,
I hope you find some nice fishing spots, there are plenty to find around.
Look forward to hearing about your first cod.

Tight lines,
Widsa.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
MoreLuresThanFish
Apprentice

Thanks Widsa,
A cod would be awesome... so many rivers to explore!