Re: YAK TRAILERS

Post by Babylon »

That is one hell of a transport Justin Brilliant 8-) Jim
PAINKILLER
The force is strong in this one
kayak: OUTBACK PIMPED TO THE MAX

Post by PAINKILLER »

ELM wrote:Painkiller, that trailer is brilliant, secure in transit, somewhere to grab 40 winks or firm cheeks ;), safe home storage, top stuff.

Curious, how long a kayak could you fit in there ???

How did you do the axle ???
i originally wanted a enclosed motor bike trailer that i could sleep in also for camping and stuff and at about $3000 didnt have the cash and new of a bloke who had the bus with the motor removed already and was getting rid of it for $300 then i had a light bulb moment. So i went down to Vic Roads to enquire and after being hand balled to half a dozen people i was put onto someone who new what they were talking about. He then gave me some pamplets on manufacturing trailers and spec and assured me it would be able to be registered under a single axle van trailer (like Caravan). And i didnt have to be and engineer or qualified welder (even though i can weld Mig not arc very well) but because of the the length i needed clearance light for at night and all the other light brake indicators etc. I thought i might not be able to use the existing axle and diff centre but there was no issues all i had to do was put it over the weigh bridge and get a certificate the take it to a trailer manufacturer and they sell a spec plate and mark downthe specs and gave a load rating onthe axle based onthe original bus gross weight divided by 2 because the was only now 2 wheels.
The inside dimensions at floor level i can fit in about 4800 to 4900 mm.
Image050.jpg
Image053.jpg
Image055.jpg
HaTTerS wrote:Great idea Painkiller!

Where did you get the trolly wheels in that last pic? They look sweet!
The Tonka truck looking wheels i found at a trash and treasure maket by chance i had been looking on the net for ages for a light pnematic style wheel and the only decent ones i could find where the wheel chair beach wheel which are about $ 140 each these wheels cost me $10 for 4 and they even come with an axle and stearing system. They had come of a electric 4x4 kids car thing i think.

Cheers

Justin
CHEERS

JUSTIN

A ZIP TIE WILL FIX IT!
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

PAINKILLER wrote: The Tonka truck looking wheels i found at a trash and treasure maket by chance i had been looking on the net for ages for a light pnematic style wheel and the only decent ones i could find where the wheel chair beach wheel which are about $ 140 each these wheels cost me $10 for 4 and they even come with an axle and stearing system. They had come of a electric 4x4 kids car thing i think.
Cheers for the info!
Yeah, I've looked at the $140 wheels but can't justify that sort of money for them.
Guess I'll just keep an eye on ebay and hope I get lucky before my Hobie's die.
Poised on the edge of sanity.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

That trailer is cool painkiller.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
1bigcatch
Apprentice
kayak: hobie revo

Post by 1bigcatch »

10 out 10 for that painkiller for less the 1000 bucks you got me thinking know : ;) now if i do this its only going to cost me browny points havent got any left so it doesent matter any way :) thanks in advance for many hours looking for somthing suitable and many hours tinkering in the shed.

cheers doug
gummyshark
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: o k p 13 flame

Post by gummyshark »

hi, guys, some great ideas, brillent i mean. word 8-)
thanks for sharing
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Love it Justin, thats a killer trailer mate.
Classic!
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
glassman
kayak: hobie pa

Post by glassman »

hi guys love the trailer ideas. for those who are not able to weld such as myself :oops: i went to see scott and he has a dunbier trailer which he modifies for any yak i have used it once and it makes moving a PA a piece of cake. 8-) :D
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Glassman does he sell them and how much. Cheers Jim :)
glassman
kayak: hobie pa

Post by glassman »

yes jim i have bought one it cost $1350.oo plus rego $35.00