Comp Rules and Guide.

A year long comp where entrants try to catch as many species from the Victorian fishing handbook.
The biggest total length of all species wins.
Comp ends 31st Dec 2011.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Comp Rules and Guide.

Post by Widsa »

Event Guidelines

Event Rules Warning: Participation in any events organised using the this website is entirely at your own risk. Neither the organising member(s), nor the administration team of Vyak, can accept any reponsibility for loss, damage, injury or death arising from Events. Even where safety suggestions are offered within the forums, or elsewhere on the Vyak.net website, it is up to the individual to ensure that precautions appropriate to your trip circumstances are undertaken, and that all legal requirements of your state or territory are followed.If you do not agree to these guidelines, please do not attend events organised through Vyak.net

2010 Pairs and singles Rules

You can fish alone, with a partner or with others, and enter your pics on a measure mat or ruler for all species from the DPI species guide (as long as they are legal size).
http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... hing-guide
Catch and Release is encouraged, but if your keeping a feed the measure mat/ruler pic still counts.

IMPORTANT: Entries must be entered with a codeword within the picture, written on your hand or a sticker on the bragmat is fine as long as it's clear.
The code will be given at the start of each month and just add it to your username.
Eg: if the code is 123 I would add widsa123 within the picture of the massive toady I just caught.
We also ask that your yak (or part thereof) is visible in the picture.
The cut off date for each months entry will be the tenth of the following month.
Eg: You catch a fish on the 31st January, you have till the 10th of February to get the pic in.
Sounds technical but these measures will help keep a level playing field, and won't take much effort. Just remember to take a texta/pen, a measuring device and a camera.

Fish must be caught in Vic waters, (Murry river included) and only while fishing from a kayak/canoe.
Yours or your pairs best garfish gets added to your best snapper, gets added to your best brown trout etc, and so on for a total length in cm's. Fish can be upgraded throughout the year, so a Jan pic of a 48cm rock flathead can be upgraded if you catch a 53cm fella in March.

Squid gets measured by mantle length, while all other fish are overall length ( Note:-gummy and school sharks must still be legal length 45cm rear gill slit to base of tail but for the comp overall length is counted )

Feel free to sign up throughout the year, we will do our best to find you a dance partner if you elect to compete as a pair.
Pairs will be randomly drawn from the mad Hatters hat.
You don't actually have to fish together with your teammate but its a great way to meet some new friends.

To enter, simply put your name down here and whether you want to fish in a team or solo.
There will be prizes for this one that will be announced at the end of the year.

Good luck and happy fishing,
The admin team.

Just a bit more info to make the team rules clear:
- You can enter this comp as either a solo fisherman or as part of a two person team.
- If you wish to enter as a solo fisherman, you only enter fish that you catch.
- If you wish to enter as a two person team, you can enter fish that either of you catch but only one of each species. (e.g. if you both catch a gummyshark, you can't enter two gummysharks in the competition, so choose the biggest gummyshark and enter that one) You can, however, upgrade your team mate's fish if you catch a bigger one.
- You can't enter fish that someone who is not in your team has caught.
- You can still go fishing with other people as you normally would, just don't enter their fish if they're not in your team.
- If you are in a two person team, you don't have to fish at the same time and/or place as your team member. Effectively, you are only teaming up for the purpose of combining your species entered into the competition which will give you a better chance of entering a greater number of different fish. (But... having said that, we do encourage team members to fish together because its a great way to meet some new friends and stay safe on the water. We do realise though, that this may not be possible if for example you live in Geelong and happen to get teamed up with someone who lives in Mildura)
- All flathead will be classified as 1 species. Please don't try and enter dusky and then rock and then yank etc.
Just chuck your biggest flatty up to keep it easy and avoid ID disputes. This applies to other species too. e.g. bream. Don't try to enter a yellowfin bream and a black bream. A bream is a bream.
- If you want to fish as a two person team: teams will be drawn out of a hat. You don't get to choose who your team mate is. Just tell us in your post that you want to be in a two person team and we'll organise it for you.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Comp Rules and Guide.

Post by cheaterparts »

I'm in - but you prob guessed that

put me in the hat for a partner
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

:lol: Yep.
And thanks to Poddy and CheaterParts for giving us a nudge to get this one happening.
I am looking forward to it, im in also if there is no objections to Admin entering.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
cheaterparts
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Will

is it worth getting a Jan code going so that guys going that are fishing from now on can get there pics happening
and even if partners arn't pulled of of the hat for a couple of weeks
the pics could be posted after that

ie make a start date at the end of the month when partners are drawn and any fish pics that are taken this month could be then posted up

just a thought
im in also if there is no objections to Admin entering
I've been told you cant catch fish anyway
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I'm in. (with my new best friend Ray, stingray - I was practicing Pat & Release with him, does that count?).
Last edited by maverick on 04 Jan 2011, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

True,
Ok then lets make the first code: 123 as in the orginal example.
Also if members can post up whether they want to enter as solo or pair so we know who to allocate.
I will be going solo as I may not be able to fish much this year due to work away from home so I dont want to disadvantage my parter.
Plus as you mentioned.. I cant fish anyway.... :x
HaTTerS
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

I'm in (solo)

Don't forget to bring a measuring device, pen/texta/something with your monthly code written on it and a camera each time you go out!
Game on!
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

I'm in solo. Correct me if I'm wrong but the biggest of each species you catch gets tallied and whoever has the longest overall measurement of all species caught added together by the 10th of december 2011 is the winner of the comp? Sounds like a good friendly comp to be having
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

All correct there Kingo except the comp will finish on the 31st December.
People will have until the 10th of Jan 2012 to get there December catch photos in.
We are making it this way because some people might be fishing on the 31st of December and not get back to a pc in time to enter their catch.

Good luck all!

Widsa
agrojim
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ocean Kayak - Pacific Angler 3.7

Post by agrojim »

I'd like to join in as a solo please. Rather not burden another member who might actually have a chance of winning. :)

Cheers,
Jim
My new ride - Seak Mako 3.9
My old ride - Ocean Kayak, Pacific Angler 3.7