Squid jigs

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
davelow
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA 12

Squid jigs

Post by davelow »

Heard from a reliable source that Black is the new pink for squid jigs? :ugeek:

or is this just another case of lures catching the angler? :?

Cheers,
Dave
brettrobo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Squid jigs

Post by brettrobo »

Statement: Bright when overcast and natural when sunny
Findings: If the squid are on the bite the squid are on the bite, in saying this the above statement has been found to be true when the squid are around but not as aggressive

Statement: Black squid jigs are more contrast in the water and the squid can see them better
Findings: when water clarity is VERY low i have found the Black jigs to be productive above the others this is probably due to contrast of the black being more easily seen when others just blend in. On the other hand i have caught squid on natural lures on overcast days with crap VIS so i am lead to believe the average squid can see a LOT more clearly than what we perceive.

Statement: Squid will only strike jigs while they are sinking
Findings: may of the strikes i have when squid are shy are actually when the jig lands on the sandy bottom, i have watched them attack a stationary jig after watching it sink i have however not seen a squid attack on a rise
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Re: Squid jigs

Post by Yacker »

One of my favorite jigs is nearly all black with a pink belly, just a cheapy but it works very well. I only have a few and use this one when its dark/overcast.

To be honest i think that most of the time squid are a bit like flatties in that they will take anything.......
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time