Lights for snapper season

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Re: Lights for snapper season

Post by Tipsta »

[quote="herbie"]Hi Jesse, here are a couple of photos of what I have done.

Its pretty simple, I just brought some pvc from Bunnings and a 45 degree join.

its connected to the rocket launcher I made up and contains

1 An all round white light connected through the join
2 Two bike lights that connect around the thin pole of the all round light
3 A work light from Jaycar that everyone was raving about (connected using the u clips that it comes with). This way it detaches and I can use it around the deck if required.

Used it last weekend and was re-tying stuff easily.
sml155.jpg
sml160.jpg
sml162.jpg

Damn Herbie you look young in those pics :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

I've just put together a basic nav light thats a bit bighter than what I have been running so I thought I would also do the costings

2 off 1 meter 25 mm presure pvc tube Bunnings $ 2.70 each = $ 5.40
1 blanking cap 1 - 45 deg bend 3 - 25 mm sockets again from bunnings total $ 6.00
5 meters of LED stip light Ebay $ 8.50 delivered - but only used 1/2 the strip $ 4.25

I had glue a switch and some wire in the shed as well as some solder so the whole unit was at most $ 20 and will run off my sounder battery

all done with very basic tools - and its not something new plenty are using the strip lights now days they are bright and cheap to set up
this light will draw around an amp so its safe to say on my battery an 8.3 amp hour there is a good 6 hours plus of light

I also will fit a fibirglass pole up the back to fit my flag looks like a job for the W/E the weather looks to sh!t to fish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Graybalz85
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA (Sponge Bob)

Post by Graybalz85 »

Similar to what I've done for my setup cheater
Yak PB: Leatherjacket 35.5cm, elephant fish 69.5cm, salmon 44cm, Whiting 38cm, squid (30cm Hood), Gummy 104cm, Flathead 34cm, Travelly 40cm, Pinkie 36cm
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

From a report I did on Mr Fishos forum from fishing at night with Winchbitch at Eagle Rock WP
Twinfisher 52 wrote: I saw you out near Eagle Rock as I said in the Hassa post. I came past you in the Twinfisher Cat at around 7ish and was trying to work out what those white lights were.....had me worried as they are pretty close to the water on the approach and the boat is bouncing a little.....I didnt realize they were lights initially as they were there then they would momentarily disappear.
I will be more wary next time as I have not come across yaks fishing at night before.
I was surprised to see you out so far in the chop even though it was tapering off.
Cheers
cheaterparts wrote: Hopefully both our nav lights showed up easy enough , we do try to get the guys that Yak fish in the dark (and a lot do these days) to use as brighter nav light as possable in fact try to be seen at any time on the water
I know sitting as low as we do does make us hard to see at the best of times
in fact this is my new light it's brighter than I had been using but uses a bit more power so will need to upgrade my battery
it was getting well down by stumps
Twinfisher 52 wrote:From a boaties perspective I would highly recommend your guys having brighter lights. Even though I am pretty focused when underway
its easy to get distracted on WPB with looking at GPS/Sounder etc and there are plenty out there who are not on the ball at times be it
in either bay.
One thing I did think was that it was good that you were out in pairs or very close to one another at night as one light doesnt show much but two
caught my eye a bit easier from a bit further away. Definitely worth getting your pals to use brighter lights if possible and get them to look at it from a boaters perspective....better to be safe. Theres lots of room for us all out there as long as we are aware and can be seen.
Maybe even worthwhile putting up posts on here and other sites if you are going to be out at night in certain areas.
Full credit to ya
Cheers
so the points

trying to work out what those white lights were.....had me worried as they are pretty close to the water on the approach both Mal and Myself have quite bright lights but got his attention evenif they seamed low on the water

From a boaties perspective I would highly recommend your guys having brighter lights. Even though I am pretty focused when underway
goes with out saying realy

One thing I did think was that it was good that you were out in pairs or very close to one another at night as one light doesnt show muc but two
caught my eye a bit easier from a bit further away.

always worth getting feed back from an outside sorce on what got his attention

I thought it was worth posting the veiw of a boater and of cause its worth taking on board
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I think also you can see a yak light, but because the yak itself doesn't loom up on you like a boat, putting that light into perspective (ie is it close or far off) is difficult if you don't know its a yak (as the guy points out). So a light that actually illuminates the yak, rather than just a light sabre which could be any distance away, is good
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Post by Deefa »

Placing SOLAS tape on the outward facing parts of the yak hull would also show the yak on the water (as long as there is some light). I'm going to try this (but also try and keep it away from ares that will blind me).
On my paddle is another good spot - waving that around is sure to catch a boaties attention.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

laneends wrote:I think also you can see a yak light, but because the yak itself doesn't loom up on you like a boat, putting that light into perspective (ie is it close or far off) is difficult if you don't know its a yak (as the guy points out). So a light that actually illuminates the yak, rather than just a light sabre which could be any distance away, is good
When I'm out at night I have my normal led light pole thats pretty bright on all the time. I also have a big 24W led flood light on the top of the pole above the other light. When a boat is coming near I will flick on the floodlight, which puts out much more light but also illuminates the whole yak and everything around it. I've had boats change course when I flick it on so it must stand out pretty well.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:I will flick on the floodlight, which puts out much more light but also illuminates the whole yak and everything around it. I've had boats change course when I flick it on so it must stand out pretty well.
or at least got there attention - even an illuminated yak is hard to see if the seas arn't carm we tend to hide under the waves
my mate was out the other night and said my flag showed up as sthe light illuminated that he could see the red flag flickering

so apart from a good nav light - use any means possable to make sure a boat can see you at night and if you do know boaters that are on the water get feed back from them to make sure you stand out , these are the guys that may use you as a speed bump if the dont see you
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

cheaterparts wrote:From a report I did on Mr Fishos forum from fishing at night with Winchbitch at Eagle Rock WP
Twinfisher 52 wrote: I saw you out near Eagle Rock as I said in the Hassa post. I came past you in the Twinfisher Cat at around 7ish and was trying to work out what those white lights were.....had me worried as they are pretty close to the water on the approach and the boat is bouncing a little.....I didnt realize they were lights initially as they were there then they would momentarily disappear.
I will be more wary next time as I have not come across yaks fishing at night before.
I was surprised to see you out so far in the chop even though it was tapering off.
Cheers
cheaterparts wrote: Hopefully both our nav lights showed up easy enough , we do try to get the guys that Yak fish in the dark (and a lot do these days) to use as brighter nav light as possable in fact try to be seen at any time on the water
I know sitting as low as we do does make us hard to see at the best of times
in fact this is my new light it's brighter than I had been using but uses a bit more power so will need to upgrade my battery
it was getting well down by stumps
Twinfisher 52 wrote:From a boaties perspective I would highly recommend your guys having brighter lights. Even though I am pretty focused when underway
its easy to get distracted on WPB with looking at GPS/Sounder etc and there are plenty out there who are not on the ball at times be it
in either bay.
One thing I did think was that it was good that you were out in pairs or very close to one another at night as one light doesnt show much but two
caught my eye a bit easier from a bit further away. Definitely worth getting your pals to use brighter lights if possible and get them to look at it from a boaters perspective....better to be safe. Theres lots of room for us all out there as long as we are aware and can be seen.
Maybe even worthwhile putting up posts on here and other sites if you are going to be out at night in certain areas.
Full credit to ya
Cheers
so the points

trying to work out what those white lights were.....had me worried as they are pretty close to the water on the approach both Mal and Myself have quite bright lights but got his attention evenif they seamed low on the water

From a boaties perspective I would highly recommend your guys having brighter lights. Even though I am pretty focused when underway
goes with out saying realy

One thing I did think was that it was good that you were out in pairs or very close to one another at night as one light doesnt show muc but two
caught my eye a bit easier from a bit further away.

always worth getting feed back from an outside sorce on what got his attention

I thought it was worth posting the veiw of a boater and of cause its worth taking on board
Good post Cheater.

After several seasons fishing in the dark, I really don't think the Tek-Tite lights are up to scratch. They are hard to see from 50 meters away, let alone by a boat travelling at speed. I've been using one for over 3 years and have ditched it in favour of an LED light pole.

Cheers

Tim
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

I recently went through all my gear after a few upgrades and worked out the total amp draw, at night when I'm using the LEDs the setup is drawing a bit over 3 amps. I currently have 18 ah of battery storage but unfortunately when the whole rig is fired up I've only got about 3hrs effective running time, you could go a bit longer but run the risk of permanently damaging the batteries.

The LED draws just over 2 amps and the sounder draws 1.

How do you guys get through an all night session?

Cheers,

Smish