orange safety flag

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
wintah
Apprentice
kayak: 2010 Hobie Revolution

Re: orange safety flag

Post by wintah »

Pro-Safety make a decent orange flag which is usually used for long timber loads, but the size of it would make a perfect fitting, its roughly two "normal" flags joined together.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

TIMYE wrote:I used to peddle out without any flag, reading this soon after join the forum put a bit DIY, I put a safety flag on a homemade flag on an old rusty metal pole, wrapped it with a lot waterproof led strip and cover the rest of pole with carbon fiber sticker
Thanks for input,everybody :clap:
Tim

good to see you thought it made sense Tim, onya :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

just to add to the flag thread - I was out from Corinella a couple of saturdays ago and the wind got up and yes it was bumpy

a mate was out in his stink boat and saw me heading in it seams he picked me out by the orange work safety shirt I wear and my white paddles
my yellow kayak wasn't the first thing that he noticed and he was at a 90 deg angle to my kayak so had the most amount of yak was in veiw
with the seas being quite bumpy and the yak being close to the water it became invisable - this would have changed as he got closer
it seams the paddling with the white paddles stood out the best on the day but of cause it was over cast and the water would have looked dark

after noticing the paddles or that got his attention then my work shirt was noticed - it seams then he saw my white fishing hat so figured it was me

I thought it was interesting on what showed up first or got the attention of someone in a boat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

cheaterparts wrote:just to add to the flag thread - I was out from Corinella a couple of saturdays ago and the wind got up and yes it was bumpy

a mate was out in his stink boat and saw me heading in it seams he picked me out by the orange work safety shirt I wear and my white paddles
my yellow kayak wasn't the first thing that he noticed and he was at a 90 deg angle to my kayak so had the most amount of yak was in veiw
with the seas being quite bumpy and the yak being close to the water it became invisable - this would have changed as he got closer
it seams the paddling with the white paddles stood out the best on the day but of cause it was over cast and the water would have looked dark

after noticing the paddles or that got his attention then my work shirt was noticed - it seams then he saw my white fishing hat so figured it was me

I thought it was interesting on what showed up first or got the attention of someone in a boat
Some good info there cheater :up:
Ive often thought a cheap easy diy especially if your paddling at night would be to attach orange reflectors to both sides of each paddle blade, it would certainly show up at night
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Ghurkin wrote: Some good info there cheater :up:
Ive often thought a cheap easy diy especially if your paddling at night would be to attach orange reflectors to both sides of each paddle blade, it would certainly show up at night
I had thought the same with a bright white nav light reflecting off the tape - it would be a bit like refectors on push bike paddles
it would get a boats attention
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Post by BKA »

x2 on the good info, Cheater. :up:
Heard several times of boaters telling yakkers that the first thing they noticed were their paddles.
On a few occasions when I'm anchored up and boats appear to be heading straight towards me, I've grabbed the paddle and made some paddling motions to heighten their awareness of me. Longer when there's a bit of chop around.
Cheers.
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Ghurkin wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:just to add to the flag thread - I was out from Corinella a couple of saturdays ago and the wind got up and yes it was bumpy

Some good info there cheater :up:
I posted once before that when I was at Mallacoota last year while out in the water I could see two yakkers white paddle blades about 2k away but could not see them clearly until they were much closer. I've cut up a orange safety vest for a flag that everyone says they can see clearly from about 1-2k away, after seeing a couple of yakkers wearing the flouro yellow vest and how they stood out, I'm thinking of changing to that colour flag.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

cheaterparts wrote:I thought it was interesting on what showed up first or got the attention of someone in a boat
Its often not what you might think; I recall seeing Wokka on the water from a few k's away, the big attention getter was the sun flashing on the landing net. The silicon flashing in the sun was extremely bright, way better than a flag 8-)
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Yacker wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:I thought it was interesting on what showed up first or got the attention of someone in a boat
Its often not what you might think; I recall seeing Wokka on the water from a few k's away, the big attention getter was the sun flashing on the landing net. The silicon flashing in the sun was extremely bright, way better than a flag 8-)

I once saw cheater getting changed on the beach from a few ks away, the big attention getter was the sun flashing on his butt, it was extremely bright and its burned in my mind forever arrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Ghurkin wrote:I once saw cheater getting changed on the beach from a few ks away, the big attention getter was the sun flashing on his butt, it was extremely bright and its burned in my mind forever arrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!
so theres proof - the sun does shine out of my a---
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657